Hellos and Good-Byes

My reflection on Chapter six of The Creative Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers & Twos by Dodge, Berkre, and Rudick.

https://pixabay.com

Do you say hello and goodbye to each child and family member every day? What messages do you think your hellos and goodbyes (or lack of them) send?

It’s important to say goodbye to everyone in the family and every child on a daily basis. However, there are days when saying goodbye to all of the family members will not occur. This is why it’s important to I would also like to include the names of the students. On the other hand, I believe that saying hello every morning is important, as it signals the start of a new day. It’s reassuring to know that the person who is genuinely interested in the child has acknowledged them. Such gestures can help open the lines of communication and make the parents feel valued.

What do you think about a child who cries a lot when his parents say good-bye? How does his crying make you feel? Do you feel differently about a child who never cries at drop-off time?

It’s heartbreaking to see a child cry when their parents say goodbye. It’s hard to leave them, and I try my best to make them feel better by showing them that I care about them. I also think of ways that I can help them, such as by saying things like, “Wow, that’s really cool” or “Bill looks like he’s building a tall tower.” I believe that kids who don’t cry at drop-off time are more used to the transition than those who do. I don’t feel that they have different personalities because I know that they miss their parents. Instead of crying, they just talk about it.

What might explain some parents’ attempts to leave without saying goodbye? What are they feeling? How do you feel when parents leave that way? How do the children feel?

Some parents choose to leave without saying goodbye to their kids. They may be rushing for work and don’t have time to spend as much time with their child. They may also not want to upset their kids by starting the transition, or they don’t want to be the ones to say goodbye. Regardless of their reason, I know that many parents would rather spend their time with their kids. Being alone at this time can be very challenging for children, and giving them something to feel happy about will help them get through it.

How do you help parents reunite with their children at the end of the day? How does a parent feel when her child cries or keeps playing? How do you feel?

In this situation, when parents get back together with their kids. I use an excited tone to tell them that their parents are there to pick them up, and I also wish them well. If a parent cries or ignores them, they may feel rejected. I would try to reassure the parents that their reactions are normal, and I would also like them to know that I am sorry if they feel guilty for not being with their child. I know that the child has a lot of feelings for their parents, so I would try to make them feel at ease.